Profile


Hello! I'm Leonie. I’m from Malaysia. I am nineteen this year, and I have Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma - a kind of blood cancer. I’m just trying to live my life to the fullest, without any regrets. I'm grateful that I’m still able to wake up to a brand new day and know that I'm still alive.

I refuse to refer to my condition as a disease. I would rather phrase it as a 'series of unfortunate events'.

I learn something new with each passing day. This is the story of my journey, and you're welcome to follow me in every step that I take.

If you would like to learn more about me and my condition, feel free to click on the navigations below. If you have any queries or would just like to say hello, drop me an e-mail at dancingpapercranes@live.com.my and I'll try to respond as soon as possible!

Cheers!




Cbox





17:47
Thursday 21 October 2010
hope.

I read an article today in The Star newspaper. Here are the excerpts that I particularly want to highlight, but you can read the full article here.

Post-doctoral research scientist with the Cancer Research Initiatives Foundation (Carif) Dr Lim, 34, said she was always saddened to read about cancer patients. The news of their diagnosis is devastating and sounds like a death sentence.

“I want to do something to help them through science,” said Dr Lim, who is from Cheras, Kuala Lumpur.

Her research project is to use vaccines to train immune cells to detect and recognise cancer cells which escape the immune system, and kill them.

“This form of targeted therapy generates a highly specific immune response towards the tumour and is expected to be associated with fewer side effects typically compared to chemotherapy.

“In addition, it can hunt out recurring cancer and is relatively cheaper compared with other targeted cancer treatment methods,” she explained.

Dr Lim’s role model is Nobel Laureate Marie Curie and she dreams of having a research life like Curie, who excelled during an era of male dominance. Curie discovered the theory of radioactivity and under her direction, people started to treat cancer using radioactive isotopes.

“Don’t be afraid of failure. Science is not easy and you will encounter multiple challenges but don’t give up!” Dr Lim advises young women scientists.

I'm praying so hard for her success. We all should.

Labels: ,



Photobucket

0 comment(s):
Post a Comment