Profile


Hello! I'm Leonie. I’m from Malaysia. I am nineteen this year, and I have Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma - a kind of blood cancer. I’m just trying to live my life to the fullest, without any regrets. I'm grateful that I’m still able to wake up to a brand new day and know that I'm still alive.

I refuse to refer to my condition as a disease. I would rather phrase it as a 'series of unfortunate events'.

I learn something new with each passing day. This is the story of my journey, and you're welcome to follow me in every step that I take.

If you would like to learn more about me and my condition, feel free to click on the navigations below. If you have any queries or would just like to say hello, drop me an e-mail at dancingpapercranes@live.com.my and I'll try to respond as soon as possible!

Cheers!




Cbox





15:58
Saturday 21 August 2010
the clock is ticking.

Response has been pretty good so far. Thanks to all who left a tag in my Cbox. (:

Sometimes, I feel unproductive because I feel like I'm wasting a lot of precious time doing nearly nothing at home.

Before, I was just a fifth former in her last year of high school, preparing for her major exams at the end of the year. I attended tuition classes and school. I ranted about the amount of assignments I had, the crazy schedules I had to keep up with, how I never got enough sleep from all the chaos and hecticness.

Being a people-pleaser, I hate disappointing people. That pretty much includes everyone, ranging from my parents, friends, teachers, and even total strangers at times. As a school prefect, I was also afraid of breaking the school rules, and getting into trouble. I never liked trouble. I didn't like the severity and consequences it brings.

I'm also an unfortunate procrastinator. I like putting off my work to the very last minute. Quoting a teacher, I seem to work best under pressure. All the best ideas almost always appear at desperate times when I needed them most.

Hence, since entering secondary school especially, my time management skills are really bad. I would be finding myself rushing out essays, cracking my brains to solve sums, and getting very cranky in attempt to finish reports in the wee hours of the morning. I would go to school the next day, complaining to my classmates about how little sleep I got to complete all these homework.

Many classmates just could not understand why am I so paranoid about homework. Most of them would just complete the homework at their own pace and eventually hand them in to the teachers. Some of them are not even bothered.

I wasn't paranoid about the homework I guess. I just had a fear of getting into trouble.

I know a lot of people who know me think that I have cancer now, at such an early age, is due to the unnecessary pressure and stress I tend to put on myself. Accumulated over the years, it has finally taken a toll on my health. My parents agree, but only slightly. They believe it could be due to genetics as well. I am of the same opinion as my parents.

But ultimately, the reason to why I have lymphoma - that isn't important now.

What's most important is, I get myself treated, rid of the tumour completely, fully recover from my condition, and get back to a much more normal lifestyle. Of course, without the unnecessary stress and pressure. Studies did show excessive pressure and stress can cause the formation of cancerous cells.

The moral of the story is, I hope all you readers realise the importance of stress management. Whenever in doubt, try putting a smile on your face. It'll do you lots of good to have those endorphins, or happy hormones in your body. Besides, it's free.

Cheers!

Labels:



Photobucket

5 comment(s):
Post a Comment